76 hospital transactions and partnerships in March - April 3, 2017
Courtesy of beckershospitalreview.com • April 3, 2017
Written by Alyssa Rege
The following healthcare mergers, acquisitions and general partnerships took place or were announced in the past month.
1. Board of Governors OKs UCF, HCA hospital deal
The Florida Board of Governors, which oversees state universities, unanimously approved Orlando-based University of Central Florida and the Nashville, Tenn.-based Hospital Corporation of America’s joint proposal to build a 100-bed hospital adjacent to the medical school.
2. Quorum Health to sell another Georgia hospital
Brentwood, Tenn.-based Quorum Health inked a definitive agreement to sell 231-bed Trinity Hospital of Augusta (Ga.) to The Richmond County Hospital Authority.
3. FTC orders DaVita to divest 7 clinics as part of Renal Ventures acquisition deal
The Federal Trade Commission ordered Denver-based DaVita, a kidney dialysis chain, to divest five clinics in New Jersey and two clinics in Texas as part of a settlement resolving a complaint that the company’s $358 million acquisition of Lakewood, Colo.-based Renal Ventures Management is anticompetitive.
4. Seattle Children’s purchases nearby spiritual center: 5 things to know
Seattle Children’s will have a new location for training events and educational meetings following its purchase of the Center for Spiritual Living’s campus.
5. Tenet Healthcare closes $16M sale of Harbor Health Plan
Dallas- based Tenet Healthcare closed its sale of Harbor Health Plan to Trusted Health Plan, a Washington, D.C.-based managed care company.
6. Eleanor Slater Hospital to join the Hospital Association of Rhode Island
Eleanor Slater Hospital, a state psychiatric institution with locations in Cranston, R.I., and Pascoag, R.I., joined the Hospital Association of Rhode Island April 1.
7. Radiology Partners adds 22 sites across 5 states
El Segundo, Calif.-based Radiology Partners will add 22 sites in North Carolina, Illinois, Indiana, Texas and Ohio to its network of more than 260 hospitals, clinics and imaging centers across nine states.
8. Evolent Health mulls merger with Advisory Board
Evolent Health, a healthcare technology provider based in Arlington, Va., will explore a potential merger with Washington, D.C.-based The Advisory Board Company, a business consulting company that helped launch Evolent five years ago, people familiar with the matter told Reuters.
9. Premier Health acquires Ohio physician practice
Dayton, Ohio-based Premier Health acquired Brookville, Ohio-based Studebaker Family Practice led by Jeffrey Studebaker, MD, and Matthew Studebaker, MD.
10. Wyoming County Community Health System teams up with New York healthcare provider
Warsaw, N.Y.-based Wyoming County Community Health System inked an administrative partnership with Buffalo, N.Y.-based Erie County Medical Center.
11. Idaho AG approves St. Joseph Regional Medical Center transition to RCCH HealthCare Partners
The Idaho attorney general approved the proposed transition of Lewiston, Idaho-based St. Joseph Regional Medical Center to Brentwood, Tenn.-based RCCH HealthCare Partners March 20 after a six-month review.
12. California physician group affiliates with Dignity Health
ScottsValley, Calif.-based Physicians Medical Group of Santa Cruz affiliated with Sacramento, Calif.-based Dignity Health Medical Foundation.
13. PinnacleHealth to pursue 5th transaction in 2 weeks
Harrisburg, Pa.-based PinnacleHealth officials said the health system signed a nonbinding letter of intent to pursue a strategic partnership with Hanover (Pa.) HealthCare Plus, the parent organization of Hanover (Pa.) Hospital.
14. Bankrupt North Philadelphia Health System gets approval to sell shuttered hospital
A bankruptcy judge signed off on a deal allowing North Philadelphia Health System, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Dec. 30, to sell St. Joseph’s Hospital in Philadelphia, which closed last March.
15. Atlantic Health System collaborates with American Cancer Society to fight colorectal cancer
Morristown, N.J.-based Atlantic Health System will take part in the American Cancer Society’s national initiative to fight colorectal cancer.
16. Mednax acquires Nevada ophthalmology practice
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based Mednax acquired a Henderson, Nev.-based private ophthalmology practice.
17. Franciscan Alliance, Methodist Hospitals sign letter of intent to merge
Gary, Ind.-based Methodist Hospitals signed a nonbinding letter of intent to integrate with Mishawaka, Ind.-based Franciscan Alliance March 22.
18. Parrish Medical Center, Nemours Children’s form collaborative agreement to advance pediatric care
Titusville, Fla.-based Parrish Medical Center and Wilmington, Del.-based Nemours Children’s Health System formed a collaborative agreement to advance pediatric care for residents in the area.
19. Lifespan, Dana-Farber to team up on cancer care
Officials from Providence, R.I.-based Lifespan and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston signed a partnership agreement March 21 to expand access to Dana-Farber’s clinical trials and treatment for complex cancer cases to patients in Rhode Island.
20. Quorum Health to divest Alabama hospital
Quorum Health Corp., the 36-hospital spinoff of Franklin, Tenn.-based Community Health Systems, inked a definitive agreement to sell 60-bed Cherokee Medical Center in Centre, Ala.
21. VA Salt Lake City Health Care System considers ending contract with local hospital
Officials at the VA Salt Lake City Health Care System said a potential lapse in the health system’s contract with the Ely, Nev.-based William Bee Ririe Critical Access Hospital and Rural Health Clinic would not cause issues for veterans seeking care.
22. Trinity EMS terminates contract with Lowell General in favor of Steward Health Care
Lowell, Mass.-based Trinity EMS declined to renew its medical directorship contract with Lowell (Mass.) General Hospital and, instead, signed a deal with Boston-based Steward Health Care.
23. Kaleida Health to become parent company of Upper Allegheny Health System
State officials approved Buffalo, N.Y.-based Kaleida Health’s proposal to become the parent company of Olean, N.Y.-based Upper Allegheny Health System and its member hospitals.
24. 4 things to know about St. Joseph Health’s acquisition of Medical Specialties Managers
Irvine, Calif.-based St. Joseph Health acquired Medical Specialties Managers, a physician practice organization based in Orange, Calif.
25. Mednax acquires 4th physician group practice of 2017
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based Mednax acquired Overland Park, Kan.-based Midwest Perinatal Associates, its fourth physician practice acquisition of 2017.
26. CHI Franciscan, Virginia Mason finalize clinical affiliation
Tacoma, Wash.-based CHI Franciscan Health and Seattle-based Virginia Mason Health System signed a definitive agreement to form a strategic affiliation to benefit residents in the Puget Sound area.
27. Ardent Health Services completes acquisition of LHP Hospital Group
Nashville, Tenn.-based Ardent Health Services successfully completed its acquisition of Plano, Texas-based LHP Hospital Group, making AHS the second largest private, for-profit hospital operator by revenue in the nation.
28. Montefiore-owned hospital partners with Scarsdale Medical Group
Scarsdale (N.Y.) Medical Group and White Plains (N.Y.) Hospital signed a partnership agreement to promote coordinated care for residents in the community.
29. California hospital reopens under new name, ownership
Thanks to new management, formerly shuttered Tustin, Calif.-based Newport Specialty Hospital opened its emergency department for the first time after nearly a decade in January.
30. Baptist Memorial partners with Priority Ambulance to improve transport services
Memphis, Tenn.-based Baptist Memorial Health Care partnered with Knoxville, Tenn.-based Priority Ambulance to provide quicker, more efficient emergency transportation services between the health system’s various locations.
31. Nashville Medical Group integrates with Ascension-affiliated physician group
Nashville Medical Group signed a partnership agreement with Saint Thomas Medical Partners, a physician group practicing in middle Tennessee and southern Kentucky.
32. PinnacleHealth pursues affiliation with UPMC, inks deal to acquire 4 CHS hospitals
PinnacleHealth, a three-hospital system based in Harrisburg, Pa., revealed plans to expand its network of acute care hospitals and partner with a bigger system.
33. CareView Communications receives purchasing agreement
CareView Communications expanded its hospital membership through its recently launched group purchasing agreement.
34. Carolinas HealthCare, YMCA expand partnership
Charlotte, N.C.-based Carolinas HealthCare System and the YMCA of Greater Charlotte expanded their existing partnership to offer a greater array of services to help residents in the area live healthier lives.
35. Avera Sacred Heart Hospital purchases South Dakota specialty hospital
Yankton, S.D.-based Avera Sacred Heart Hospital acquired the 10-bed Lewis & Clark Specialty Hospital, also in Yankton.
36. Health Management Associates to acquire Seema Verma’s consulting firm
Health Management Associates, a New York City-based healthcare consultancy group, signed an agreement to acquire SVC, an Indianapolis-based consulting firm owned by Seema Verma, who was recently confirmed as administrator of CMS.
37. Michigan Medicine, St. Joseph Mercy announce joint venture
St. Joseph Mercy Health system — a member of Livonia, Mich.-based Trinity Health — and Michigan Medicine in Ann Arbor will establish a joint venture giving both systems an interest in St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea hospital.
38. 7 Indiana hospitals, universities team up to create IU medical school
Seven Indiana hospitals and universities partnered to boost residency options and economic development in the state through the construction of a new medical school.
39. Cone Health, Randolph Health to explore affiliation possibilities
Asheboro, N.C.-based Randolph Health and Greensboro, N.C.-based Cone Health entered into a period of due diligence to explore possible affiliation models.
40. Americore Health deal to purchase Sonoma West Medical Center collapses
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based Americore Health ended motions to acquire Sebastopol, Calif.-based Sonoma West Medical Center.
41. UnityPoint Health-Waterloo reaches tentative agreement to acquire bankrupt hospital
UnityPoint Health-Waterloo (Iowa) reached a tentative agreement to acquire Marshalltown-based Central Iowa Healthcare, which includes a 49-bed acute care hospital, an outpatient center and four primary care clinics.
42. CHS to sell Alabama hospital as part of debt reduction effort
Franklin, Tenn.-based Community Health Systems inked a deal to sell off another hospital as part of its debt reduction plan.
43. Sentara Halifax Regional taps EmCare for ED services
South Boston, Va.-based Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital contracted with Dallas-based EmCare, a physician management company, to manage its emergency care services.
44. Wisconsin bill aims to disband UW partnership with Planned Parenthood: 5 things to know
Legislators introduced a bill March 3 barring physicians employed at Madison-based University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health from partaking or assisting in abortion procedures at private health organizations in Madison such as Planned Parenthood.
45. Advanced ICU Care to partner with Premier Health hospital: 4 things to know
St. Louis-based Advanced ICU Care will provide tele-ICU services at Troy, Ohio-based Upper Valley Medical Center.
46. Post Acute Partners to buy 126-bed NY nursing home
New York City-based Post Acute Partners will purchase Lockport, N.Y.-based Odd Fellow & Rebekah Rehabilitation and Health Care Center later this year.
47. 3 Michigan healthcare organizations partner on home care company
Three Michigan healthcare companies will launch a home healthcare provider in Grand Rapids, Mich., April 1 to meet the area’s growing demand for at-home services.
48. Envision Healthcare to acquire Imaging Advantage
Greenwood Village, Colo.-based Envision Healthcare entered into a definitive agreement to purchase Phoenix-based Imaging Advantage, a comprehensive radiology services provider.
49. OU Medicine, SSM Health, UHAT sever plans for formal affiliation: 4 things to know
The University Hospitals Authority and Trust, OU Medicine, SSM Health’s St. Anthony Hospitals and the St. Anthony Physicians Group — all in Oklahoma City — severed ties to complete a formal affiliation.
50. McLaren reportedly considers partial acquisition of Detroit Medical Center
Flint, Mich.-based McLaren Health Care expressed interest in purchasing select assets belonging to the Detroit Medical Center.
51. NorthShore University HealthSystem, Advocate Health Care scrap merger agreement
Downers Grove, Ill.-based Advocate Health Care and Evanston, Ill.-based NorthShore University HealthSystem abandoned their plan to merge after a federal judge granted a preliminary injunction March 7 to temporarily halt the merger.
52. Fairview Health Services, HealthEast to merge to create largest hospital network in Minnesota
Minneapolis-based Fairview Health Services revealed plans to merge with St. Paul, Minn.-based HealthEast. The combined entity will serve as one of the most comprehensive and accessible health systems in the state.
53. Nationwide Healthcare to purchase Delaware hospital
Brick, N.J.-based Nationwide Healthcare Services revealed plans to purchase Milford (Del.) Memorial Hospital’s 22-acre campus and redevelop it into a multiuse healthcare-focused community once the hospital relocates to its new campus in early 2019.
54.County officials aim to purchase, repurpose former Florida hospital campus
Holmes County commissioners unanimously agreed to apply for grants to acquire the former Bonifay, Fla.-based Doctors Memorial Hospital campus and repurpose the facility into a county government annex.
55. Montefiore, CityMD partner to expand access to care across New York
Bronx, N.Y.-based Montefiore Health System and New York City-based urgent care provider CityMD teamed up to expand access to primary, specialty and urgent care services for patients in New York.
56. Americore Health purchases 104-year-old Pennsylvania hospital
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based Americore Health signed two definitive agreements to manage and acquire EllwoodCity (Pa.) Hospital.
57. Rush University Medical Center, Rush-Copley Medical Center integrate as Rush
Rush University Medical Center in Chicago and Rush-Copley Medical Center in Aurora, Ill., completed their integration and renamed the merged entity Rush.
58. NY state hospitals come together to improve care access: 4 things to know
Rome (N.Y.) Memorial Hospital affiliated with St. Joseph’s Health in Syracuse, N.Y.
59. Mercy Hospital St. Louis, Saint Francis Medical Center team up for pediatric care
Mercy Hospital St. Louis and Cape Girardeau, Mo.-based Saint Francis Medical Center paired up to offer specialty pediatric gastroenterology services to patients in the Cape Girardeau area.
60. Grand Itasca Clinic and Hospital partners with Fairview Health Services
Grand Rapids, Minn.-based Grand Itasca Clinic and Hospital CEO Mike Youso said changes in the industry drove the hospital to partner with Minneapolis-based Fairview Health Services.
61. Dartmouth-Hitchcock, Elliot Health System cease affiliation talks
Officials from Lebanon, N.H.-based Dartmouth-Hitchcock and Manchester, N.H.-based Elliot Health System ceased plans to embark on a formal affiliation.
62. MSU HealthTeam joins national comprehensive care partnership
East Lansing-based Michigan State University HealthTeam joined Comprehensive Primary Care Plus, a nationwide partnership dedicated to improving access to quality healthcare for patients at lower costs.
63. 2 Oklahoma orthopedic groups affiliate: 3 things to know
Tulsa, Okla.-based Central States Orthopedics affiliated with Eastern Oklahoma Orthopedic Center, also in Tulsa.
64. Tenet Healthcare to sell 6 home health facilities to Amedisys
Dallas-based Tenet Healthcare signed a definitive agreement to sell six home healthcare centers in Illinois, Arizona, Massachusetts and Texas to Baton Rouge, La.-based Amedisys, a home healthcare, hospice and personal care company.
65. 11 hospital deals to acquire ASCs in 2016
Eleven hospitals are considering ambulatory surgery centers as part of their outpatient strategy, either by acquiring them from physicians, developing joint venture ASCs with physician owners or opening their own centers.
66. Miami Cancer Institute joins Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Alliance
The Miami Cancer Institute joined the New York City-based Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Alliance.
67. Wheeling Hospital to purchase Sistersville General Hospital
City council officials unanimously approved the sale of Sistersville (W.Va.) General Hospital to Wheeling (W.Va.) Hospital for $5.5 million.
68. LifeBrite Hospital Management takes ownership of Pioneer hospital
Lilburn, Ga.-based LifeBrite Hospital Management became the official manager of Danbury, N.C.-based Pioneer Community Hospital of Stokes.
69. Yampa Valley Medical Center pursues partnership with UCHealth
Steamboat Springs, Colo.-based Yampa Valley Medical Center and Aurora, Colo.-based University of Colorado Health will explore a potential partnership agreement to provide patients in the area with access to additional specialties and services.
70. Evolent Health executes 2 partnership agreements to enhance care delivery
Arlington, Va.-based Evolent Health, which provides clinical, financial, technology and operations guidance and solutions to hospitals and health systems, formed individual partnership agreements with Orlando (Fla.) Health and Roanoke, Va.-based Carilion Clinic to assist both organizations in delivering cost-effective, value-based care to residents in their communities.
71. Sound Physicians adds Atlanta physician group
Atlanta-based Eagle Hospital Physicians joined Sound Physicians, a provider practice in Tacoma, Wash.
72. Promise Hospital to provide rehabilitation services at Baton Rouge General
Louisiana-based Promise Hospital of Baton Rouge will begin providing acute inpatient rehabilitation care and skilled nursing services at Baton Rouge (La.) General Medical Center’s Mid City campus April 1.
73. Columbus Radiology to serve 10 Mercy Health hospital locations
Columbus (Ohio) Radiology, an affiliate of El Segundo, Calif.-based Radiology Partners, will provide radiology services to 10 of Cincinnati-based Mercy Health’s hospitals in Ohio.
74. Premise Health to continue managing free medical clinic in Tenn.
Brentwood, Tenn.-based Premise Health will continue to manage Greeneville, Tenn.-based Greene County Clinic, a free medical clinic serving employees covered under Greene County’s insurance plan.
75. 4 things to know about US Anesthesia Partners’ acquisition of Physicians Anesthesia Service
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based U.S. Anesthesia Partners completed its purchase of Seattle-based Physicians Anesthesia Service Feb. 1.
76. Community Partners’ latest merger creates one of the largest mental health providers in Ariz.
Tucson, Ariz.-based behavioral healthcare provider Community Partners completed its merger with Assurance Health & Wellness in Tucson, creating one of the largest mental healthcare providers in the state.