Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if Methodist Hospitals is contracted with my insurance?

To receive full insurance benefits, some insurance plans require patients to receive services at an “ in-network” or “participating” hospital. Please call your insurance to verify its requirements and to be sure our hospital is in your network.

I am a senior citizen with Medicare coverage and I need help organizing my records and choosing a supplemental insurance. Can you help me?

The State of Indiana sponsors a Senior Health Insurance Information Program called SHIIP. Click here for SHIIP information.

What if Methodist Hospitals is “out of network,” can I still go there?

You can still seek treatment at Methodist hospitals, but your insurance may pay a smaller portion of the bill, or not at all.

How can I be sure my health plan will pay my hospital bills?

Some insurance plans require a patient to pre-certify certain services, or to notify them within a certain period of time after becoming hospitalized. If your hospitalization is not an emergency, we encourage you to review and understand your insurance benefits. Please discuss any insurance eligibility or payment concerns with us at registration so that a financial counselor can assist you.

What do I do if my insurance company denies the claim?

Some outpatient tests and inpatient stays payments are based on medical necessity. If your insurance company denies your claim, you can appeal the denial with them.

How will I know how much I owe?

If you have insurance, you will receive an Explanation of Benefits from your carrier. This will show the amount paid, non-covered services, as well as any coinsurance, co-pays or deductible. After your insurance has paid, Methodist Hospitals will send you a bill for your remaining balance.

Why am I receiving more than one bill?

Professional fees associated with many hospital procedures are billed directly by the physicians who provided services. Professional fees occur when services are received from many hospital departments, such as Anesthesiology, EEG, EMG, EKG, Cardiology, Pathology, Physical Therapy, MRI, Neonatal, Pulmonary Function, Radiology, and Emergency Room Physicians.

What if I don’t have insurance?

If you do not have insurance, you can contact Financial Services at the hospital to determine the best plan of option for obtaining payment for your services.

Northlake Campus (219) 886-4502 Southlake Campus (219) 738-5850

I am trying to help my family member resolve their account, why am I unable to obtain information?

When a family member is 18 years of age or older, we can not share their protected health information without their consent. This also applies to a student, in which the parent carries the child as a dependent on their insurance. If the information is requested for a child under the age of 18, it can only be released to the Patient’s legal Representative. Medical Records can be contacted in order to provide consent for personal representatives.

I need a copy of a part of my medical record, how do I obtain one?

Should you need a copy of any part of your medical record, please call (219) 886-4542 (Northlake) or (219)738-5586 (Southlake) for further information. To obtain copies of your x-rays, contact Radiology at (219) 886-4545 (Northlake) or (219) 738-5565 (Southlake) for more information. There may be a fee charged for copies of your medical record or x-rays.

I would like to forward a question to the Central Billing Office

Click Here – Central Billing Office